[Sca-cooks] Period or no?

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Wed Sep 22 16:25:27 PDT 2004

At 04:08 PM 9/22/2004,Madylyne Sparkes said something like:
>For the veggie option, I am still a little stumped.  I am going to do
>something which is
>primarily root veggies (carrots, turnips, parsnips) with some sort of
>lentils (which I'm not
>sure if they're period or not, but I'm just really stumped and on a REALLY
>tight budget), and
>probably orzo pasta, in a vegetable broth.  If anyone has any suggestions
>on this one,
>it would be appreciated.  I don't do much vegetarian cooking even at home.
>
>Madylyne

Theres always a nice barley pottage, with whatever root veggies you want to
add. Enrich it with onion soup, garlic broth, or whatever.

When I cooked a barley pottage for the volunteer setup crew at September
Potrero War they were literally scraping the pot clean (it was offered in
addition to a beef casserole and a chicken casserole).  I used barley,
onions, onion soup mix (with NO meat products in it), thyme, and garlic.

Regards,
Maggie