[Sca-cooks] Re: Old World vs. New World Fruits

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Sep 22 20:33:56 PDT 2004

Daniel is right of course about the citrus fruits--- they had lemons, sweet
oranges, bitter oranges, citrons and limes all in Europe prior to 1500.
Possibly also the pomelo, which is the odd one. It may have been known
by 1099 if we are to believe the one account. I am up to 212 pages
in the latest revised edition of my continuing work on oranges, but I rather
think with all the storms, I may not be doing much with citrus this winter.
I understand that most of the fruit is lying on the ground in the wake of
all the hurricanes.

Persons wanting a good read online on just citrus fruits might like
http://lib.ucr.edu/agnic/webber/Vol1/webberTOC.html

Johnnae llyn Lewis
I am up to 212 pages
in the latest revised edition of my continuing work on oranges, but I rather
think with all the storms, I may not be doing much with citrus this winter.
I understand that most of the fruit is lying on the ground in the wake
of Ivan, etc.