[Sca-cooks] pottage?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Sep 23 04:15:05 PDT 2004

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:

>So, what is a good definition of a "pottage"? What are the dividing
>lines between a pottage, a stew, a bruit, a porridge and a soup?

Oy! Always he wants the straight, simple answers to complicated
kvest... I mean questions.

The short answer is there are no dividing lines between those dishes
so named, or rather, the names have denoted increasingly broadened
sets over time, to the point where there's been considerable blurring
of the "lines" and overlapping of the categories.

Mostly what we can fall back on is the original, dictionary
definition of each word, as determined when the dictionary entries
were written and/or back-determined, if you know what I mean.

So. A pottage, depending on who you talk to, is either a dish cooked
in a pot, or a dish sufficiently liquid to drink (as in potable). You
eat it with a spoon. The Larousse Gastronomique defines a potee as
anything cooked in an earthenware pot, and I was taught that to the
French, a potage (with one "t") is a soup with a phase of thin to
semi-thick liquid with solids in it, anything from, say, minestrone
to New England Clam Chowder. In Middle English I'd say a pottage is
anything you eat with a spoon or drink, as opposed to something you
eat with a knife -- IOW, there is a clear distinction between
lechemeats and pottages, but just to make sure Stefan is confused,
roasts can be cut up and sauced or recooked to make pottages ;-).

A stew is pretty straightforward. With a surprisingly small number of
exceptions (i.e. bouillabaisse), stews are denoted by slow, gentle
cooking, usually of tough meats and wintry vegetables. Similar to
braising. The name appears to refer to a cooking method and, perhaps,
a related piece of equipment, the use of a fire whose temperature can
be kept low and burn slowly and long, later using a firebox called a
stove. Estouffade and etouffee are essentially stews, both in concept
and etymology.

A brewet? It's brewed, I guess. I'm not sure if the medieval
distinction between it and other slow-cooked liquid foods is any more
clear, but maybe it's a tradition derived from saying the same thing
in two different languages, which is something you run across a lot
in medieval England. Hieatt and Butler aren't much help; their
glossary in Curye On Inglysch says a brewet or a bruet is a broth, or
something cooked in it. OTOH, since broths are made by cooking things
in water, it has a dual nature as both a foundation and a by-product,
which makes the definition just a bit circular.

A porridge today denotes a grain-based dish, usually a moderately
thin gruelly stuff, at least when hot, but the name appears to
ultimately come down to leeks, from something like poree or poire in
French. In simpler terms, porrey is a leek soup, and by extension,
any of several soupy green vegetable dishes (I believe le Menagier
identifies spinach specifically as "a kind of porrey"). I suspect
that grains got added to porreys as a thickener, and over time became
the dominant ingredient.

Soups are dishes of liquidy stuff poured over sops of bread, usually,
but not always, toasted. Mostly they were (back in the days when sops
were involved) relatively thin, but as always, the exception
sometimes proves the rule.

So, as I said earlier in my rant on the blurred lines, all of the
above are pottages (but not necessarily potages ;-) ), and some are
soups, in addition to whatever else they may be.

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04