[Sca-cooks] blancas and maravedis

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 23 06:49:51 PDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>

Lady Brighid gave a spaetzle-like recipe. Thanks Brighid, I didn't
think of this file, but then I'm not that familiar with de Nola. This
does sound like an interesting recipe to make and more flavorful than
the dumplings I've had. I agree with the other poster (Lainie?) who
talked about them being doughy. I have liked spaetzle.

This recipe does raise some measurement questions, though.

How big were/are "blancas"? And how much is a "maravedi"?

If you'd checked the glossary at the bottom of the file, m'dear, you'd have seen that these are Spanish coins, of small value.  One maravedi is worth three blancas.  I have no idea how much bread or saffron that would be.

Even as late as the 19th century, there are cookbooks saying things like, "add five cents' worth of turnips..."

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net