Pennyroyal (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Period or no?

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Sep 23 11:38:43 PDT 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

> [...]
Just as a note, pennyroyal, though in the mint family, does not actually
taste like mint. I used to use pennyroyal tea for migraines (and we can
argue relative toxicity later) and it tastes more woody and not really
minty. Kind of like thyme, actually. I want to say it tastes like oregano
would if you took out all the strong oregano flavor, but that probably
makes very little sense to most people.

So one is probably better off leaving it out rather than substituting mint
for pennyroyal, at least if you're going for something that tastes right.

Margaret FitzWilliam