[Sca-cooks] Citrus Fruits (was Re: Old World vs. New World Fruits)

Avraham haRofeh avrahamharofeh at herald.sca.org
Fri Sep 24 04:28:25 PDT 2004

> Key limes are Old world but were introduced to the New world by the
> Spanish within our period.  The specific variety may be a cross of other
> old world citrus.  From what I've read, ALL citrus are Old World, but not
> necessarily period for Northern Europe.

The earliest citrus arose in Southeast Asia, probably in the Malay
Archipelago. According to references I found on the web, the lime, the
citron, the mandarin and the pomelo are probably the oldest species, known
in China since 500 BCE. The citron was known in Italy as early as 20 BCE,
but it is the least tasty of the ancient citruses. The bitter/sour/Seville
orange was known in China by 300 BCE, and may have reached Rome as early as
100 BCE. The sweet orange doesn't appear in Chinese records until 1100 CE,
and Indian records around 1300. My source does not indicate when any of
these reached Northwestern Europe.

Reb Avraham haRofeh
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
Quarterly azure and argent, four mascles counterchanged
Random Tag: The only stupid question is the one you forget to ask.