[Sca-cooks] Recipe: Shrimp & Grits. OOP

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Sep 24 16:49:44 PDT 2004

Also sprach AEllin Olafs dotter:
>But... but...
>
>OK, I'm a New Yorker. No Southern background at all.
>
>But I thought grits are grits, not cornmeal... as in, hominy grits,
>corn treated with lye to get rid of the hull (and perhaps softened?)
>so they could be ground more easily (originally - I'm sure it's done
>now for flavor.)

That was my impression. Slaked lime is the beastie in question, and
its purpose is to make it easier to hull the dried kernels, which are
otherwise harder to handle than a big plate of Harvard Beets
[obligatory beet content].

The shrimp and grits recipe sounds to me like a fusion of polenta,
jambalaya, and risotto. Nuthin' there that'll kill ya. ;-)

Adamantius
Holt, 07/29/04