[Sca-cooks] Recipe: Shrimp & Grits. OOP

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Sep 24 18:32:16 PDT 2004

Also sprach James:
>If I remember right yes, that's it.  And from what I remember
>treating corn was origianally for flavor and the fact that lye, or
>wood ash or..., takes the skin off the kernal.  I'm not saying that
>eating corn is the only way to get a niacin deficiency but I do know
>that this was a common occurance in the areas where corn was
>introduced years ago.  And that in areas where corn is a native
>foodstuff this is not common at all, if only people would have paid
>attention and made some of the corn into homeny.

Maybe. I imagine, though, that in areas where corn is native, the
people evolved to the point where they could manufacture the
necessary chemicals (mostly niacin derivatives). In places where the
local diet was based on some other grain, but later changed to corn
to the exclusion of a lot of other foods, These people were
essentially unable to cope metabolically. Perhaps someone else can
explain this more clearly. Phlip? Avraham?

I definitely recall reading in a number of sources that slaking corn
was a milling process to remove the husk.

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04