[Sca-cooks] Marmite/Vegemite/Promite

drakey2 at iinet.net.au drakey2 at iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 24 19:22:58 PDT 2004

Quoting Christiane <christianetrue at earthlink.net>:

> Oh, my, that's a true cook's answer!
>
> However, the stuff I am talking about is a yeast-based spread, a sticky brown
> "savory" goo beloved by Brits and Brit ex-pats (but not even all of them).
> Has nothing to do with the French vegetable soup. It is fairly nutritious,
> has lots of riboflavin and B vitamins.
>
> But I am told that some like to add a bit of it to soup stock.
>
> BTW, the jars the spread come in look a bit like a marmite-style soup pot.
> Thus the name ...

There's also promite, which I'm not sure is worldwide or an Aussie thing.  I
prefer it over vegemite.  I think it's a yeast/vege boiled down spread with the
same axel-grease colour/consistency that marmite and vegemite have...  We also
have Australian made versions of vegemite too as it's owned by a yank company
and we feel uncomfortable have an Aussie icon in foreign hands...

Perhaps we need an indepth discussion on the merits/differences between them.

Drakey.

ps.  Australians are also not happy at an American company who trademarked 'Ugg
Boots' even though Aussies have been calling them that since the 70's...
Grumble...  I need my morning/lunchtime coffee...