Was [Sca-cooks] Marmite/Vegemite/Promite now Uggs

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 24 20:55:04 PDT 2004

Craig Jones wrote:

>Oops... Here's a good link on the issue...
>
>http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/stories/1608.asp
>http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/12/1078594562069.html?oneclick=true
>
>D.

That bites the big one!  I'll have to think twice before I buy any more
of the boots.  I just checked mine, which I purchased about 8 or so
years ago...they do say "Original Ugg, Australia".  I have noticed that
more companies here are carrying them, though they still remain quite
expensive.  I have seen "knock offs" that go for considerably
less...look similar but use synthetic fleece rather than sheepskin.  I'm
sure those are made in China.

I think that the Aussie bootmakers should take the US company to court
over this.  After all, as the word was in the dictionary long before
they trademarked the title, they shouldn't have exclusive use of it.

Kiri