[Sca-cooks] Pickled or no? -

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 25 09:26:00 PDT 2004

So now I'm totally confused...

Drakey says >
>> To clarify, the beets are peeled, sliced then canned.

Margaret/Emma says

> Australian beetroot is cooked, sliced, then canned in sugar/vinegar
>> pickle (I used to live near the factory...what a smell!). Presumably
>> there is some coating on the cans that stops them being dissolved, as it
>> is quite acid.

So, are they pickled or not??

See, in the US, we have plain canned beets, known as canned beets or
just beets, and we have pickled canned beets, known as pickled beets.
The first are generally served hot as a vegetable, and the second are
generally served cold as a salad. And we generally specify which we mean...

Oh, don't worry, Drakey - the examples of "American Food" you cited
astonish and horrify me as much as they did your gf... *EG*

AEllin