[Sca-cooks] Celery or Celeriac

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 29 09:46:00 PDT 2004

At a guess, they're finding seed. Soft plant parts aren't generally
recognizable after 10 centuries!

I checked in Ann Hagen's books on Anglo-Saxon food, and she mentions that
celery was cooked.

In the Plan of St. Gall, it's shown in the herb garden inside the walls. The
discussion indicates that root crops were grown outside the walls, but the
celery is right next to the onions and leeks. Possibly, being frugal, both
stalks and roots were used.

On the other hand, Hagen says that the finds at the Viking sites are likely
to be wild, rather than cultivated, celery. I don't know if wild celery
would have had edible stalks.

Cynara