[juergen at fiedlerfamily.net: Re: [adamantius.magister at verizon.net: [Sca-cooks] Rumpolt: Was ist einen Spensaw???]]

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Sep 29 15:41:55 PDT 2004

Also sprach Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise:
>  >From our local native-German-speaker on tap...
>
>I would go with the young pig. Actually, Sew ('Sau', nowadays) just
>means sow. Now the 'Spenferckel' that is also mentioned in Rumpolt is a
>suckling pig. It seems that a Spensaw is a sow about one or two age
>groups up from the Spenferckel, i.e., a young pig but not a suckling
>anymore. The word is not very common in the German language anymore,
>since the Spanferkel (as it is spelled today) has taken center stage.

Yes, as in, "Ist das nicht a diche Frau, ist das nicht ein fette
Sau...". ;-)  I assumed that a suckling pig for this purpose was too
small: the tharms/Darme/guts would be extremely small, and you
_might_ get chipolata-sized sausages out of them, if you were lucky.
The "domestic sow" actually comes, I think, from Gwencat's work with
Rumpolt, I think...

Okay, that makes sense. A sow that is perhaps weaned but not sexually
mature, similar to the distinction between [some] American and
European veal... Thanks, Jadwiga and Juergen!

Will post my redaction at some point before the end of November.

Adamantius
Holt, 07/29/04