[Sca-cooks] Book Questions...

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 6 08:47:01 PDT 2005

QUESTION ONE

I recently picked up a used copy of
The Food Chronology
by James Trager

It is organized by century, each broken down into years, with
significant food, economic, and political tidbits with each. It
begins with very early pre-history (pre-human, in fact) not broken by
year :-) The volume i have ends with 1995. The book is 783 pages
long, with 109 pages devoted to pre-1601, 60 pages of index and no
bibliography. It attempts to cover the whole world, but i assume is
stronger on Europe and North America.

I wonder if anyone has any opinions about its quality / usefulness
(opinions? hah! this list?)

QUESTION TWO

Additionally, I had no idea that the previous owner, an SCA
acquaintance, smoked until i got The Chronology and both volumes of
_Take a Thousand Eggs or More_ which i also bought from her, home (i
picked them up at an event and didn't crack them open there). They
smell like much-used ashtrays. Anyone know of a way to get rid of the
nasty tobacco smoke odor? It's giving me a stuffed nose and itchy
eyes.

Thanks
--
Urtatim, formerly Anahita