[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 23, Issue 17

SEBD at aol.com SEBD at aol.com
Wed Apr 6 12:13:17 PDT 2005

Also sprach  lilinah at earthlink.net:
>Additionally, I had no idea that the previous  owner, an SCA
>acquaintance, smoked until i got The Chronology and both  volumes of >_Take
a Thousand Eggs or More_ which i also bought from her,  home (i
>picked them up at an event and didn't crack them open there).  They smell
like much-used ashtrays. Anyone know of a way to get rid of the  nasty tobacco
smoke odor? It's giving me a stuffed nose and itchy  eyes.

___________

The expensive way is to rent an Ozone machine, put it in a room with the
books, turn it on, close the door, and leave it alone for 3 to 7 days.

Having an Ozone Purifier in the house works on allergies and smells,
generally.

OTOH, you take them out in the fresh air. Fan the leaves, and most of the
smell will go bye bye.

If you're going to try something like baking soda, cornstarch, or activated
charcoal, put the stuff in a stocking first, so that it doesn't get all over
the  place, and lock it in an air-tight container  with the book for 3 to 7
days. Much less work cleaning up afterward.

I am unclear as to what kind of binding you want to clean, so am just
covering what to do about pages. Old leather bindings clean up very nicely with  a
little lanolin on a rag. What you do to cloth, paper, or other bindings varies
by type.

Elianne
who is regarded as comic relief by
many antiquarian librarians