[Sca-cooks] Aging of meat

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 12 22:30:20 PDT 2005

Radei mentioned:
> I know I do prefer aged meats<and not always aged properly by modern
> standards>, but that is me.

Perhaps this Florilegium file might be of interest to you:
meat-aging-msg    (20K)  9/ 4/01    The aging of meat to tenderize it
in period
                                        and today.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/meat-aging-msg.html

> And I am sure, if you are poor enough and
> that is all you have, rotten is better than nothing.

Well this discussion started out talking about the myth of spices being
used to disguise rotten meat in the Middle Ages. Spices, with the
exception of a few native ones such as mustard, were very expensive.
Certainly way more expensive than the cost of replacing the bad meat
with fresh meat.

But yes, if you are desperate enough you might eat rotten meat feeling
it is better than nothing. Of course these are going to be the
exceptional cases such as the cases in the Crusades, and probably
elsewhere, of folks decided dead humans are better eaten than nothing
at all, as well.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas