[Sca-cooks] Past thoughts on spicing and rotten meats

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Apr 15 11:29:04 PDT 2005

For those that remember Terry Nutter, I looked up her
thoughts on spicing and rotten meats via the wayback machine.

She began her essay "Remarks on Urban Legend #27"
"The urban myth that medievals used flavoring ingredients to cover the
taste of spoiled meat has proved astoundingly persistent. Competent
historians who know little or nothing about the culinary record retail
it in survey texts. Articles in popular sources blithely subscribe to it.

It's nonsense, and it's demonstrable nonsense. Below, I present three
modern observations, and then some facts about what the primary sources
from the time have to say on the subjects of rotten meat and sauces. "

Getting there takes a couple steps-- click first on--
http://web.archive.org/web/20021015225156/www.cottagesoft.com/~jtn/Culinary/Articles/notesf.html
then click on "spices, sauces, and rot" in the left hand column.
That should take you to the article.

It also appeared in hard copy in an issue of Serve It Forth.

Johnnae