[Sca-cooks] You know you are in the SCA when...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Apr 16 00:29:56 PDT 2005

  Brighid ni Chiarain commented:
> Not an earlier example, but here is the relevant portion of the
> introduction you mentioned, which was written in 1888.
>
> "Many of the Recipes that are given here would astonish a modern Cook.
> Our forefathers, possibly from having stronger stomachs, fortified by
> outdoor life, evidently liked their dishes strongly seasoned and
> piquant, as the Cinnamon Soup on p. 59 shews. Pepper, Ginger, Cloves,
> Garlic, Cinnamon, Galingale, Vinegar, Verjuice, and Wine, appear
> constantly in dishes where we should little expect them; and even Ale
> was frequently used in Cookery. Wine is used in the recipe for Roast
> Partridge, on p. 78, and also, as seems more natural to us, in the
> Partridge Stews on pages 9 and 78: it is also used for Brawn in
> Poivrade on p. 71. Ale is introduced in the Bowres on p. 8, in the Sops
> Chamberlain on p. 11, and in the Mortrews de Chairon p. 71, and is even
> used in the Charlette on p. 17, though Milk is also one of the
> ingredients: both Ale and Wine appear in the Maumenny Royal, on p. 22.
> Ale is also used with the Tench in Bruet."

LOL. I guess this is sort of one of the those "You know you are in the
SCA when..." statements, but when I was reading through the list of
above "unusual" ingredients and how they were being used, my thoughts
were more like "So? Okay, so where would someone need a stronger
stomach?"

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas