[Sca-cooks] Re:tricky food names

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Apr 16 07:07:42 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> > shrimp with lobster sauce containing no lobster...
> >
> Ah, but there I think you have fallen to a different food convention.
Years
> ago, I was told that the 'lobster sauce' was 'sauce suitable to use on
> lobster', rather than 'sauce with lobster'.  Um...Chinese convention?
>      Devra
>

> Devra Langsam

Is it that different a usage from "spaghetti sauce" which indicates a sauce
usually poured over spaghetti, rather than a sauce containing spaghetti?
More yuppie-esque, you now find a number of sauces in the grocery referred
to as "pasta sauces", which again doesn't refer to their ingredients, but to
their usual or original usage. If you look on the blurbs on the jars and
cans, they suggest using these sauces for any number of things other than
pasta.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.