[Sca-cooks] Cacciocavallo with pasta?

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 21 12:08:55 PDT 2005

There was some wondering of what kind of cheese to use with the Lombardy ravioli recipe. This got me to thinking of a quote from a letter to Isabella d'Este Gonzaga from one of her courtiers, telling her that if she visited Sicily, she would have to have one of their pasta dishes, dripping with cheese and butter and sugar and cinnamon. In Sicily, the cheese to grate and melt on pasta is cacciocavallo; this type of cheese has been made at least since the Middle Ages.

Typically I don't think you can find this cheese in American supermarkets; so has anyone here ever used this cheese? How goes it compare with grana padano or parmesan or romano?

Gianotta