[Sca-cooks] Nocino, period cordial or not?

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 26 10:16:20 PDT 2005

Hi everyone, I have a question from someone off the SCA-Italiano list about if there is a period recipe for nocino, the Tuscan cordial made from green walnuts that are picked on St. John's Day and steeped in alcohol, sugar, and spices for 43 days.

As far as I can tell, I don't even know if nocino was made or consumed within period. I poked around on the Florilegium a bit, but didn't turn up anything except the 12 Precious Waters recipes and the ones submitted by Aoife. Any ideas of where else I can look?

Gianotta "will take limoncello over nocino any day of the week" dalla Fiora