[Sca-cooks] wooden utensils

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 26 18:47:14 PDT 2005

Selene commented:
> On 4/25/05 2:30 PM, "Huette von Ahrens" <ahrenshav at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > --- Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
> >> That is lovely.
> >>
> >> A family of Armenian woodcarvers has a booth at our local farmers
> >> market, largely dealing in cookery implements, wooden spoons etc.
> out
> >> of
> >> fruit woods.  They feel so good, they have "soul" as the
> >> machine-chipped
> >> ones don't.  I may have to go there and take some pictures for you.
> >>
> >> Selene
> >
> > Which farmers market?  How expensive are they?
> >
> > Huette
>
> Sunday morning, ONEgeneration Encino Farmers Market, 17400 Victory
> Blvd.
> between White Oak and Balboa.  Turn left when you enter the market and
> they
> are several booths down on the left. Middling expensive for a wooden
> spoon
> until you think about the hourly value of the workmanship.  They also
> do
> combs and other tchachkes that would go well with the SCA ensemble.  I
> think
> I want to head over there this Sunday, strawberries should be
> plentiful now.
>
> http://www.localharvest.org/farmers-markets/M3716

While I suspect both of you know this, perhaps others do not. And I'd
hate for someone to spend the money for hand carved utensils and end up
distroying them. And I'd be sorry for the craftsman as well. So here is
a reminder of a Florilegium file:
wood-utn-care-msg (14K)  3/26/05    Care of utensils made of wood.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/wood-utn-care-msg.html

Also, if want to try making your own:
wood-utensils-msg (13K)  4/21/00    Making and finishing wooden
utensils, mugs.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/wood-utensils-msg.html

There was also a merchant as this last Gulf Wars who had some nice
carved wooden spoons and other wooden kitchen utensils, on the end of
the merchant area nearest the camping areas.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com