[Sca-cooks] Re: Spain and Dance

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed Apr 6 15:46:53 PDT 2005

At 03:05 PM 4/6/2005, you wrote:

>>2. Dance, with a focus on the difference
>>between the Celtic-influenced
>>jota and the Middle-Eastern influenced flamenco
>>(Which also has some
>>celtic-like elements)
>
>Middle-Eastern influenced flamenco?  The flamenco
>is a modern decendent of the Renaissance dance
>called the Canario.  I know of no Middle-Eastern
>dances that are stamping related.  Perhaps you
>could tell me where you found this information?

I wonder if she is referring to the 'estampie'? I've been reading about it
fairly extensively (though not very productively) lately in research for
the @$%#&@ book. When the word shows up in the late 12th-early 13th c, it
seems to describe a 'stomping' dance, done by men. When it shows up in
later tabulations, it is a couples dance that is much like a pavane, with
no stomping. (How the progression works is beyond me- the later forms
simply look nothing like what the word would seem to suggest.)

Most easily accessible (though not entirely satisfactory) source with info
on the estampie is:

Title: Medieval instrumental dances /
Author(s):
<http://newfirstsearch.oclc.org/WebZ/FSQUERY?searchtype=hotauthors:format=BI:numrecs=10:dbname=WorldCat::termh1=McGee%5C%2C+Timothy+J.:indexh1=pn%3D:termh2=1936-:indexh2=pn%3D:operatorh1=AND:sessionid=sp07sw05-46521-e783uopt-5lkxcn:entitypagenum=41:0:next=html/records.html:bad=error/badsearch.html>McGee,
Timothy J.; 1936- ; (Timothy James),
Publication: Bloomington :; Indiana University Press,
Year: 1989
Language: French, Old [ca. 842-1400]
Series: Music--scholarship and performance;
Music Type: Dance forms
Standard No: ISBN: 0253333539; LCCN: 88-45498

Or take a look at: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/dance.html

A veritable fount of information!

'Lainie