[Sca-cooks] Fermented/Pickled Food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Apr 9 21:37:34 PDT 2005

Daniel asked:
> In honor of Roguszys I'm collecting pre1600 recipes for fermented and
> pickled food. Any and all contributions would be appreciated.  My
> intent is
> to compile them, prepare representitive examples and do a display
> entry at a
> winter A/S in Trimaris.

What is "Roguszys"?

Perhaps these Florilegium files might be of use:
fd-Iceland-msg    (84K)  1/15/03    Food of medieval Iceland. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Iceland-msg.html
pickled-food-msg (120K) 12/21/04    Medieval pickled food. recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/pickled-foods-msg.html
dairy-prod-msg   (104K)  1/23/05    Dairy products. milk, butter,
curds, cream.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/dairy-prod-msg.html
compost-msg       (72K)  3/ 7/05    A pickled food of fruits and
vegetables.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/compost-msg.html
clotted-cream-msg (36K) 12/15/04    Clotted cream products. Devonshire
cream.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/clotted-cream-msg.html
Lrds-Salt-Exp-art (15K)  9/11/00    "Lord's Salt Experiment" by Lady
Hauviette
                                        d'Anjou.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Lrds-Salt-Exp-art.html
stockfish-msg     (98K) 10/15/04    Period preserved fish. Dried,
smoked and
                                       salted fish. Recipes.
   (I think my lutefisk info is in here)
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/stockfish-msg.html
pickled-meats-msg (58K) 10/11/01    Period pickled meats. Lord's Salt.
recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/pickled-meats-msg.html

I'm sure there are plenty more.

Are you including beverages or just more solid foods? Is cheese
considered "fermented"? I suspect though that your category may already
be too big to handle well.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas