[Sca-cooks] Fermented/Pickled Food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 11 23:44:43 PDT 2005

Vincenzo replied to Daniel with:
> Daniel Phelps wrote:
> > Stefan wrote:
> >> What is "Roguszys"?
> >>
> > And then referred me to his florilegium.
> >
> > Evil laugh and mad cackling!
>
> LOL ... I second the motion.  <g>

Pbbbbbt.

> > Stefan if you will check the florilegium all will
> > be revealed regards Roguszys.
>
> Daniel is right.  ... Trust me.

For those who might be wondering, here is what is in the Florilegium
about this "Roguszys". In the books-food-msg file, of all places. (One
reason to use the Florilegium search engine :-) ):

> Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 17:42:50 -0400
> From: "Daniel Phelps" <phelpsd at gate.net>
> Subject: SC - New Book
>
> Just when I thought it was safe to go back into the book store I read a
> review of a new foodie book!  The review is in the latest issue of the
> "Economist" Oct. 14 thru 20th.  The title "Pickled, Potted and Canned:
> The
> Story of Food Preservation" by Sue Shepard.  If I read the blurb right
> its
> published by Headline and runs 368 pages and 15.99 pounds.
>
> Looks to be a very interesting book.   If anyone on the other side of
> the
> pond picks it up please give us a cooks list review.  One bit of
> trivia, I
> learned about the worship of Roguszys.
>
> Who was Roguszys you ask?
>
> Why the ancient Lithuanian diety of pickled food.  You guessed it the
> god
> of sauerkraut.

And I just now noticed who wrote this message.

I've got a copy of this book that I think I may have bought at a recent
Pennsic. I guess I'll just have to find the time to read it, sometime.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com