[Sca-cooks] The Secret Life of: Deviled Eggs

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Tue Apr 12 13:25:48 PDT 2005

At 10:45 AM 4/12/2005,Samrah said something like:

>Caught just a bit of this late last night.  We have discussed the research
>on this show being at least better than average.  Although the term
>"deviled" is from 1800 or 1900, the host (cutie whose his name escapes me)
>said that deviled eggs happened in the last half of the 16th
>century.  Anybody got period recipes?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Samrah

There are several period recipes that make something like devilled eggs,
but they're not called devilled.

The florigelium entry on this is at:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/eggs-stuffed-msg.html

Regards,
Maggie MacD.

PS-- Caidan 12th night feast for 2006 is toying with the concept of these
stuffed eggs, so watch for further ruminations on this topic!