[Sca-cooks] The Secret Life of: Deviled Eggs

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 12 17:17:08 PDT 2005

Samrah wrote:

>Caught just a bit of this late last night.  We have discussed the research on this show being at least better than average.  Although the term "deviled" is from 1800 or 1900, the host (cutie whose his name escapes me) said that deviled eggs happened in the last half of the 16th century.  Anybody got period recipes?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Samrah

I did a version of a stuffed egg for a feast several years back...it was
from an English version of Martino's recipes (/Epulario/):

Seeth new Egs in water until they be hard, then peele them and cut them
in the middle, and take out the yolks, and doe not breake the white, and
stampe some part of those yolks with a few Currans, Parsely, Margerum
and Mint, chopped very small, with two or three whites of Egs, with what
spice you thinke good. And when they are mixed together colour it with
Saffron, and fill the Egges therewish, and frie them in oyle; and with a
few of those yolkes which remain unstamped with a few Currans, and
stampe them well together, and thereto Sugar, Cloues, and good store of
Sinamon, let this sauce boyle a little, and when you will send the Egges
to the Table, put this sauce upon them.

Kiri