[Sca-cooks] Candied Horseradish

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 12 17:38:16 PDT 2005

SEBD at aol.com wrote:

>> The third  was a recipe that has fascinated me ever since I first read it --
>> candied  horseradish from the 14th c. Catalan confectionary manual.   <snip>
>
>> Brighid ni  Chiarain
>> Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
>_____________
>
>Was that yours, Mistress Brighid? I tried some of that,
>as it was a real curiosity to me. Thank you so much
>for taking the time to make it. It tasted very mild to me, too.
>Maybe the taste would be sharper if it had not been soaked
>for so many days.

Yes, that was mine.  The one problem with an event like Emmaus Fair is
that one cannot simultaneously sit with one's display AND go viewing
other people's work.  I left my horseradish unattended for a good long
while, because there were so many interesting things to admire and
interesting people to talk to.   I knew the boiling and soaking would
remove heat from the horseradish, and that was evidently the intent of
the recipe.  Horseradish grows fairly enthusiastically, and how much of
it can one use as a condiment, after all?

I just checked the USDA nutrient database for horseradish.
Unfortunately, it only gives the figures for *prepared* horseradish, but
the added vinegar shouldn't change the nutritional values.  Ounce for
ounce, it seems that prepared horseradish has nearly twice the calories
and carbs as raw turnip.

>Do you know Chinese technique of making candied bananas
>or apples--chunking the cold fruit and tossing it into a hot sugar
>syrup, thence into ice water, so that it makes a kind of hard shell? I
>wonder what the horseradish would be like if one tried that. Probably pretty
>weird, yes?

It would be hard on the teeth, and harder on the palate, IMO.  :-)

>It was lovely to meet you. (I'm the woman in green who came with  Countess
>Mistress Brekke and the women from Whyt Whey.)

Yes, I remember.  Likewise.

Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net