[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices...

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue Apr 12 19:20:25 PDT 2005

At 06:55 PM 4/12/2005, you wrote:

>>So she has three sows, three cows, and a sheep. And a few chickens. It is
>>clear that these animals are where she gets her meager income-

<snip>

>I didn't mean to imply that she ate her beasts.  Her diet is bread, milk,
>eggs, and sometimes bacon.  I left in the description of her farmstead to
>give an idea of her economic position.  She is a poor widow, but not
>utterly impoverished (ie., not a beggar).

No harm done- I wasn't certain that was what you'd meant, but I could see
how it could be read that way.

Of course it might be easy to look at her modest livestock, and not see it
as 'poor', but she really is. She has herself and two daughters to care
for. Being a poor widow, she very likely has little to set aside for
marriage portion for her daughters, so their chances at marriage are slim.
Those animals are all she has between her and starvation. My guess is that
she would occasionally barter a piglet for grain or flour- but the dark
stuff, no fine white bread on her table. As it is, it's still a pretty mean
table.

'Lainie