[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices...

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Apr 12 19:05:26 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> > So she has three sows, three cows, and a sheep. And a few chickens. It
is
> > clear that these animals are where she gets her meager income- she milks
> > the cows (and possibly Molly) and sells the milk. Possibly sells eggs.
She
> > likely has the sows bread and sells the resulting piglets. She may
butcher
> > a pig now and then, but not often, as the only mention of meat is a bit
of
> > smoked bacon. What she eats apparently is the products of her animals,
and
> > bread. (God help her in Lent!) She doesn't eat the animals themselves
(at
> > least until they are old and no longer producing) any more than a wheat
> > farmer eats his seed.
>

> That's reading quite a bit into it, I think.  The mention of bacon alone
indicates that she did
> have ample pork as a protein source, and if she had bacon, then she likely
had ham, and hocks and
> shoulder and rib as well.  It would be counterproductive to slaughter the
dairy cows and the goats
> (at least until they were past the days of milking), but the pigs would
breed rapidly (unless she
> had only one) and provide ample pork for her table.
>
> William de Grandfort

Also, please keep in mind that "bacon" does not always mean the streaky
stuff we get in the store nowadays, but apparently was often used as we
might use "pork"  (possibly cured pork, depending on the when/where)
nowadays- a similar bit of etymology to the word "corn" as used now, and
then.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.