[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices...

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue Apr 12 19:35:30 PDT 2005

At 07:03 PM 4/12/2005, you wrote:

>Sure.  But the Chaucer tale indicates the widow had a few pigs, so I am
>assuming she had them for
>food or (as Lainie mentioned) for breeding/selling purposes.  However, I'm
>more inclined to think
>that they were on hand for the food they supplied.  And, a good part of me
>(yes, there is at least
>one) wants to think that she would have kept more than just a rasher or
>two of bacon.

Three pigs. That's very few pigs. The farm next door when I was growing up
never had fewer than eight. You have to remember, William, that this widow
is most likely relying on the pigs for _income_, not just food. Three pigs
is barely enough to have a breeding group. When you have that few, you
don't butcher them out- you breed them for a couple of years to build up
the stock. If you're smart, you'll trade a couple out with the farm down
the lane,so they don't get too inbred. But when you've only three, you
don't eat them.

'Lainie