[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices...

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 20:21:10 PDT 2005

--- "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at jeffnet.org> wrote:
> >Sorry, Lainie, but I am one of those poor, uneducated fools who firmly
> >hold to the belief that a
> >piece of paper is only good for one thing, and I put very little creedence
> >into them.  I've known
> >too many 'Professors' who hold Phds who have very little practical
> >experience in their field of
> >study.  The broad in the Chaucer snippet had pigs, and she likely dined on
> >them.
>
> I'm sorry you feel that way. How sad that I wasted six years of my life
> then. And I hope you never need a doctor or a lawyer if that's how you feel
> about education.

That's not how I feel about education.  That's how I feel about degrees, particularly in the
fields of literature and education.  Besides, if you spent six years in school just so you could
assert some kind of ethereal expertise into the raising and slaughtering of pigs in a Chaucerian
tale, then yes...you did waste your time.

> And for your information, I do have a bit more experience than just a
> degree. I've slopped hogs, and I've milked goats. (I refuse to deal with
> chickens though. Nasty things.)

And slopping hogs and milking goats gives you how much insight into the daily life of a widow in
Chaucerian times??  I think this goes back to the arguement that there are very few, if any,
people on this forum who can actually speak from a position of knowledge on this matter, or any
matter pertaining to the Middle Ages or Imperial Rome....particularly when it comes to the food
and daily life of the times.  There simply isn't enough surviving material to base any kind of
*expert* testimony on.  It's all conjecture, whether you have a degree or a dormouse...

Willy d

Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.