[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices... (a few excerpts fromApicius)

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Apr 12 21:00:55 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

 And, when faced with a 'not good' smelling
> broth/liqumen/meat, what does he advise???  Fix it so it doesn't stink any
more, and serve it
> forthe....

Forgive me for the paraphrase, but, "An if thyne spaghetti sause be saur,
then unto itt serve an teaspoon of sygar, and serve if forthe, and it will
be good".

There is no cook of any skill in this world, who, when faced with foods
which, for whatever reason, don't come out quite the way they intended, or
which, for whatever reason have characteristics which are not preferred when
fresh, doesn't attempt to correct the problem, whatever it might be. This
does not imply a conspiracy to disguise rotten meat with excess spices, it
indicates a cook striving for the best with ingredients which are, for
whatever reason, less than optimum. Doesn't matter whether it's a modern
cook adding a bit of sugar to acidic spaghetti sauce, potatoes to an over
salted stew, or a medieval cook refreshing old honey, or birds with
obnoxious dietary habits, it's still, so far, much the same process- making
food taste its best.

> If that's not evidence of tampering with bad food in anituquity, then I
don't know what is.  of
> course, I've never slopped a hog or milked a goat before, so I'm no
expert...

> William de Grandfort

Oh, come on, quit being nasty. This is a discussion of medieval foods and
cooking processes, not a sarcasm contest.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.