[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices...

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Tue Apr 12 21:48:13 PDT 2005

Also, what no one seems to be considering (at least, not in the posts I
read), is that the widow might not have been a free woman? (oh, gack,
Lainie, help me with the correct term, will you?) 14th century English
society was a real tangled mess of freemen, serfs, and everything in
between...I wonder if the widow could have had some use from the
livestock, but not owned them to the extent that they could have been
freely butchered.  She also would have had to find a way to purchase
fodder and other food for the larger animals--I don't recall seeing
anything in the description of her in Chaucer about her owning or having
access to fields? Just the grove her house was near? (I suppose the pigs
could maybe be let loose there, but logistically that would depend on
local laws and customs.)  I don't recall, either, if Chaucer ever said
what her husband's occupation was, which could have had a strong effect
on what she had available for her use after his death.  We don't know if
she owned the land and cottage outright, or just until her death, for
instance, or if they'd been given to her as an act of charity....Lots
and lots of variables! ;-)
It's far more likely, by the way, that she kept the sheep for wool.  A
more livestock-experienced friend than I says they're pretty difficult
to milk--wool could be sold to someone as raw goods, or could have been
spun and sold to local weavers, or even traded.  Cows would be more
productive (does the middle english specify gender?)...they could be
bred, and then milked.  3 would have given her at least enough milk to
make cheese and butter in season, which could be sold.  Pigs, ditto, but
sold for meat or taxes.  She might get to keep at least some of the
bacon for herself, but maybe it wasn't considered the best part? It
would certainly be a valuable source of fat for her and her daughters,
though.
I don't recall seeing anything in the Chaucer that folks quoted about
other possible sources of income for the widow and her daughters, and
I'm just tired enough that I'm being too lazy to go into the other room
and hunt up one of my copies of _Canterbury Tales_, so I'll go with my
first impression.  I definitely think the livestock were kept for income
sources--how else would she pay taxes? Buy grain for herself and the
animals? Buy household goods? Salt to cure the bacon? Thatching for the
cottage? Wood for her fire, unless she had rights to wood from the grove?

--Maire, chiming in with a long two pence' worth