[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices... (a few excerpts from Apicius)

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 05:25:32 PDT 2005

Here's a reference from an author whom *I* respect, with numerous references from authors my
author respects.... you might find it a bit of a dry read at first, so i will direct your
attention to page 7, the lower left hand portion of the page (left column) in which the author
mentions, quite clearly, the spicing of meats to hide decay.  In fact, I suggest everyone read the
entire article...it is very fascinating, and paints quite a descriptive picture as to what
*actual* life in medieval York was like (based upon scientific evidence)

Yes, this is a modern article on Medieval York, but it is backed up with researched facts, and
*digged up bones*.  Check out the bibliography.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/110433643/PDFSTART

William de Grandfort

Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.