[Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices... (a few excerpts from Apicius)

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 15:30:36 PDT 2005

This is a start ... Ordinances that state one cannot sell spoiled meat or old food.  Can you
find ordinances that state you cannot sell spoiled meat or old food that have been covered in
spices?  That would be the next step.  Or find ordinances that state you cannot serve
spoiled meat or old food for people to eat?  That would be the best proof.

Huette

--- Chris Stanifer <jugglethis at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Chris Stanifer <jugglethis at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > The original post which started this topic was a request (I believe by Phlip) for people to
> post
> > references which might help a researcher 'debunk' the myth that medieval people heavily spiced
> > some meats to mask an off (read: bad) odor or flavor.
>

> In keeping with the idea of offering the researcher points from which to begin her research, I
> submit the following link, which seems to detail the laws and customs of medieval Ipswich, in
> particular where they pertain to the open vending of foods, and in particular the vending of
> spoiled meats...
>
> http://the-orb.net/encyclop/culture/towns/ipswich6.html
>
> Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for
they shall never cease to be amused.