[Sca-cooks] Candied horseradish

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 22:28:03 PDT 2005

On 4/12/05, Robin Carroll-Mann <rcmann4 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> The boiling and soaking process took almost all of the "bite" out of the horseradish.  I had expected something similar in intensity to candied ginger, bu the result was much milder.  It could well have been candied turnip, or some other such root vegetable, though there was a discernable horseradish taste.  The honey flavor was quite distinct, and I would like to try the recipe again with a sugar syrup.
>
> Brighid ni Chiarain
> Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom

Mmmmm....horseradish....

Yeah, cooking horseradish does take most of the bite out of it.  If
you were to grate the
root and fry it, it becomes sweet.  I've used it as a crust for
chicken that way.  Very nice.

Boiling it, makes it another boiled root with very little taste left,
especically if it calls
for boiing it until it is soft.

The water changing would also carry away a good bit of the taste as it
"de-salted" the
already boiled root.

If you wanted to eschew that part of the recipe and cut the peices
smaller and just blanch them, you would come up with a more
interesting outcome.  It wouldn't be true to the
original recipe, but I think it would be interesting and worth trying.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson