[Sca-cooks] Mustard

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 14 07:23:51 PDT 2005

>While I don't disagree with you, you are making the assumption that the
>mustard would have been added to improve the taste rather than be left out
>because it would be humorally harmful or inappropriate in the dish.
>
>As for the term authentic, I would point out that both dishes described are
>authentic, but yours is not historically accurate.
>
>Bear

But, and I don't have a source with me, wasn't mustard often
on the table as a condiment? Sounds like such a case to me. "These
french fries are good, but better with some ketchup. Or, more
to my mind, I like mustard with corned beef but add it after the cooking
process instead of during. Now, the recipe doesn't state to add mustard
but neither do most modern recipes when discussing condiments
that can be used.

Just a thought.

Gunthar