[Sca-cooks] Martino Corno's pasta recipe?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Apr 14 20:05:31 PDT 2005

I suppose you mean such places as
http://www.mamatheresa.com/history-pasta.htm
where it mentions
Around the year 1000, we have the first documented recipe for pasta in
the book "De arte Coquinaria per vermicelli e macaroni siciliani", (The
Art of Cooking Sicilian macaroni and Vermicelli) written by Martino
Corno, chef to the powerful Patriarch of Aquileia. Pasta was certainly
well known in Arab countries, where still today they speak of
"makkaroni". From these countries it spread to Greece and Sicily (then
an Arab colony). In fact, Palermo was the first historical capital of
pasta, because it is here that we have the first historical sources
referring to the production of dried pasta in what seems like a
small-scale industrial enterprise. In 1150, Arab geographer Al-Idrisi
reports that at Trabia, about 30 km. from Palermo, "they produce an
abundance of pasta in the shape of strings ("tria" in Arabic) which are
exported everywhere, in Calabria and in many Muslim and Christian
countries, even by ship."

I don't know where they get the year 1000 dating for Martino, but you are
right in that it seems to have been published somewhere and numerous sites
have adopted it as the truth.

Anyway the recipes that Kiri provided seem to be the ones you want.
There's more on the topic of vermicelli in Pasta. The Story of a
Universal Food
by Serventi and Sabban. See pages 233 to 235. That's a really good source
for pasta history.

Hope this helps.

Johnnae