[Sca-cooks] "Custard" Crust?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Apr 15 04:39:13 PDT 2005

Also sprach Johnna Holloway:
>Way back in the dark ages-- PPC did a series of articles
>on bakewell tarts in PPC 2 and 5. I used those articles then
>as a basis for my first Period Palate column in 1980..... I guess
>a quarter century ago now. Given it was limited to one half page
>because that was all the room that TI could spare, it didn't really
>have the room to explore the subject in a thorough manner.
>Alan Davidson mentions another association besides those dishes mentioned
>by Master A. Caudles and possets both, Davidson notes, have
>virtually been custards.
>
>Johnnae

I have the idea that if you look at every caudle recipe and every
posset recipe there ever was in the whole wide world since the
beginning of time, you may find that caudles and possets differ in
that caudles tend to be thickened with eggs and possets with grain.
Or I could be thinking of a very specific snapshot (say, November of
1543) and forming a misimpression not supported by The Big Picture.

But certainly there are a lot of custardy items in the genres you
mention. Not to mention stuff like zabaglione.

Adamantius