[Sca-cooks] Candied horseradish

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 15 20:44:37 PDT 2005

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Brighid replied to me with:
>
>> Most of the other candied fruits and vegetables in the same cookbook are
>> preserved whole, or in slices (the gourds are to be cut in thick
>> slices).  So, I don't get the feeling that mincing is called for -- just
>> small enough to cook through.
>

> Interesting. This reinforces the argument that the pieces were bigger
> than diced pieces. I was not aware of this other information. Part of
> the disadvantage of working from a single recipe rather than a family
> of them.
>
> Is there any indication of how the gourds are sliced? One way, in
> parallel stripes across the "equator" of the gourd would give rings,
> while cutting them in the pole to pole direction would most likely be
> done in strips. Gourds are hollow, right? Or at least the part we are
> candying here?

I think the gourds mentioned here are the green gourds found in Asian
grocery stores, or something similar.
http://www.specialtyproduce.com/spNetwork.ASP?Item=396&WCI=Frameset&WCE=Main

I'm having trouble reading it, but I *think* it says to make the gourd
into wheels (cross-section slices I suppose), and then cut it into wide
and good slices.  Then, cut off the rind and remove everything inside
except the firm white flesh.  Green gourds on the inside are rather like
zucchini or eggplant -- there is a seeded area, and the more mature the
gourd is, the larger the seeds are.  This may wind up in chunks or
cubes, rather than the rounds I was originally envisioning.  The next
step is to layer the gourd pieces with salt, and press them for 2
weeks.  That will draw out the moisture and compress the pieces.  So, I
don't think we're starting with pieces that are very small.

> Horseradish, as well as ginger, can be a bit "stringy". This likely
> gets worse the bigger the pieces of the root are. I wonder if the
> seven (nine?) days of soaking are also to soften some of these strands
> as well as the leach out some of the horseradish taste.

Could be, but remember the recipe starts with parboiling the horseradish
pieces until very soft.  The soaking may soften it a little more, but
not much, as far as I could judge.  I did cut some of the chunks smaller
after the soaking, and didn't observe that they were significantly
different in texture.

> I'm sure there is at least some leaching of the horseradish taste
> wanted, other wise they wouldn't have you change out the water so
> much. Just put the horseradish in the water and let it sit.
>
>> IMO.  As I said, I haven't studied
>> Catalan, and I may be missing something.
>

> Possible. But I doubt it.

I'd still be happier if someone who knows the language could comment.

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net