[Sca-cooks] Apicius birds stuff with olives

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Apr 16 10:08:53 PDT 2005

Actually this is one of those recipes that can be googled easily--
Here are some online versions--Chicken stuffed with olives

Bird: Put broken fresh olives in the cavity, sew up and boil. Remove the
olives when cooked. Apicus

6oz black olives, preferably pitted
1 small, fresh chicken
2 bay leaves
salt
10 black peppercorns
1 onion
1 carrot
1 celery stalk

l Chop the olives roughly and stuff the chicken with them. Using a large
darning needle, sew up the cavity with cotton thread or fine cooking string.
l Place the chicken in a saucepan and cover with water. Add the bay
leaf, salt, peppercorns and vegetables. Bring to the boil and simmer for
1.5 hours until tender.
l Remove from the water and cool slightly before carving.

Copyright © Cyprus Mail 2005

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/news/main.php?id=18369&cat_id=5

There's a version in Dalby's The Classical Cookbook.

Johnnae