[Sca-cooks] "virgin" cast-iron cookware - help, please.

julian wilson smnco37 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 16 11:27:40 PDT 2005

Dear Listers,
Our Group has bought a new, "virgin" cast-iron cauldron for cooking-use at our medieval camps.
I do recall fairly recently seeing considerable discussion on the SCA Lists to which I subscribe - concerning the "seasoning" of virgin cast-iron cookware, and thought I'd saved the discussions into a  file. If I did, I cannot now find it.
So, to assist our Companie's cooks, I would be very grateful if Listers could download to me for the benefit of our Cooks, their preferred methods of "seasoning"  unsealed cast-iron cookware.
The Companie of The Duke's Leopards thanks you all in advance for your assistance in this matter.
God's benison upon you all, this Feast of St. Drogo, and after.

Yours in service,
Julian Wilson,
[aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]
late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
"The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
[the only medieval living-history Group
in "olde" Jersey]