[Sca-cooks] Differin translations of Apicius

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Apr 16 10:43:32 PDT 2005

>Master Cariadoc replied to me with:

>>Vehling has
>>been discussed here before--his "translation" really is close to
>>worthless, since he puts in things that aren't there, and his
>>redactions are perhaps worse.
>
>That is why I wanted, and am happy to see, your quotes of the
>translations of these sections by others. However, even in your
>message, for some of Vehling's translations you showed and commented
>that they were saying essentially the same as the other
>translations. So, not all of his translations are wrong. But it
>certainly seems you have to be careful with them and other
>translations may be more trustworthy.

If there were no other translations available, Vehling might be
useful. But there are. An author whose translation is often wrong
isn't very helpful, since in order to know whether to trust him you
have to either translate the material yourself or check a more
reliable translation. And he is dangerous since an error, once made,
propagates.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com