[Sca-cooks] Mustard

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Apr 16 14:02:36 PDT 2005

>>While I don't disagree with you, you are making the assumption that the
>>mustard would have been added to improve the taste rather than be left out
>>because it would be humorally harmful or inappropriate in the dish.
>>
>>As for the term authentic, I would point out that both dishes described
>>are authentic, but yours is not historically accurate.
>>
>>Bear
>
> But, and I don't have a source with me, wasn't mustard often
> on the table as a condiment? Sounds like such a case to me. "These
> french fries are good, but better with some ketchup. Or, more
> to my mind, I like mustard with corned beef but add it after the cooking
> process instead of during. Now, the recipe doesn't state to add mustard
> but neither do most modern recipes when discussing condiments
> that can be used.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Gunthar

My understanding is the mustard was being added in the kitchen, which, in
accordance to the recipe, would be historically inaccurate (unless of course
there is an attribution to "scribal error").

Condiments on the table are in the province of the diner not the cook, so
they might or might not have been added to any individual's portion of
anything.  Without actual reference to how they were used, we can only
assume they were used in the same manner we use them.  Safe assusmption, but
not necessarily historically accurate.

At the Protectorate feast where you presented me your Iris ribbon,  I sent
out fish with apple and wine sauce and chicken with orange sauce and there
were mustard and marmalade on the table.  At the tables, the sauces, mustard
and marmalade got added to dishes in strange and curious ways.  I hewed to
the recipes and made the dishes as historically accurate as I could.  They
were eaten as the diners chose to eat them.  Authentic, yes.  Historically
accurate, unproven.

Bear