[Sca-cooks] "virgin" cast-iron cookware - help, please.

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Apr 16 18:24:26 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> I have not tried lard, but I have tried both vegetable oil and solid
> vegetable shortening (ie Crisco). I definitely prefer the Crisco. It is
less
> messy and I think it gives a better result.
>
> Also, whatever you use, it may take more than one treatment to get a good
> seasoned surface.
>
> Cynara

Actually, you spend your wqhole life trying to get a perfectly seasoned
surface ;-)

Seasoning cast iron is not one of those things that you can do and be done
with- rather it's a process that's ongoing throughout your ownership of your
pot or pan. Following the instructions here will give you a good start
towards proper seasoning, but it will take years of usage to get it to the
proper point where you can do something wrong (NOT including using soap, or
dropping the pot) and the seasoning will ignore it, or fix it for you.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.