[Sca-cooks] Mustard

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sat Apr 16 18:59:26 PDT 2005

> I don't know whether mustard would have been a discretionary table
> condiment or not, except in certain cases. It may be as it often is
> today, where you're more likely to find mustard on the table, or even
> serve it, as an accompaniment to, say, corned beef or various smoked
> sausages, but less likely when poached filet of sole is served.

My impression is that mustard was the default condiment for most things,
except perhaps chicken. But I may be wrong.

This is from my notes:
'Le Menagier de Paris suggests mustard sauce with wild boar, beef
tongue, and lots of different fish, including eel, shad, loach,
lampreys, cod, stockfish, and whiting. Anne Wilson, in Food and Drink in
Britain, says, "Mustard was eaten with fresh and salt meat, brawn, fresh
fish and stockfish , and indeed was considered the best sauce for any
dish."'

I shall have to dig through my notes further on this one.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"But I am Dragonkiller, the least of my family, and if I have done a
great thing, then I must die of it." -- Robin McKinley