[Sca-cooks] Apicius birds stuff with olives

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Apr 18 11:00:22 PDT 2005

Please pardon the resend in case people get this twice.
I sent the message originally 5 hours ago and it seems to have
bounced.
In answer to Stefan's question...
The recipe says "boil" so in this case the cook chose
to put some seasonings into the water. They look like ordinary
stock ingredients to me intended to flavor the plain water.

As to olives, there are at least a couple dozen books on olives
on the market. I am afraid I don't own enough of those to tell you which
or what
olives would be most like those found in Classical Rome that
Apicius might have used, how similiar those are to modern olives,
and what that all means when shopping at the local mega mart in Texas.
I'd suggest experimenting with perhaps chicken breasts and
a variety of olives until you find a combination you find pleasing.

Johnnae