Poaching- was Re: [Sca-cooks] Rotten meat and spices...

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Apr 18 10:20:09 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> not uncommon in rural areas.  I know several dozen around here that do.

The thing is, rural poachers aren't trying to destroy a viable species. In
SE Ohio, where I knew of several poachers, the deer are overpopulated, to
the point that there are constant car/deer collisions, never mind the
interactions between farmers and their crops. It's estimated that the deer
population there is higher than it was before the area was settled, due to
the lack of predators. More than once, I've seen herds of 40 or more, and a
day rarely went by when I didn't see at least one, supposing I stuck my nose
out the door. OTOH, I've cheerfully dropped a dime on people shooting hawks
or wild turkeys, and know of poachers who will do the same.

The state isn't managing things properly, so, when necessary, the rest of us
tend to "help".

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.