[Sca-cooks] Growing for Feast

KristiWhyKelly at aol.com KristiWhyKelly at aol.com
Mon Apr 18 12:23:23 PDT 2005

Greetings!

I myself have grown fava beans, cucumbers, flowers, berries  (elderberries
and currants) and ducks for various feasts.

We butchered geese for 12th night at a local farmers place.

The birds, flowers and cucumbers were easy.  Flowers and cucumbers  were used
fresh.  Ducks and geese where slaughtered and frozen.

Frankly the ducks were not cost effective, between feed and loss of  animals.
 If you can get them at the local Asian markets it's about  the same price.
The geese on the other hand were $5 per bird, usually at  the stores they run
close to $50 per bird.

The favas where difficult as I mistimed the sowing and it was a really  rainy
year and I had fungus problems.  Also, with the new Asian and  Hispanic
markets opening up it's not as hard to find them.

Harvesting at a local farm is a lot cheaper if you are willing to go out  and
pick yourself.  I got asparagus for 50 cents per pound at a friends  farm.
Same goes for apples 50 cents p/pound for organic heirlooms.   What's best
about this option is that you can almost guarantee a harvest.

Hope this helped.

Grace

In a message dated 4/18/2005 1:44:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,